BrewDog Camden is the newest addition to BrewDog’s collection of craft beer bars, situated just around the corner from Camden tube station, I’m a bit of a fan of BrewDog’s beers and attitude towards brewing so I’ve been looking forward to a visit…
A few friends and I went there last night for some birthday drinks and to check out the new IPA is Dead range. All I can say is, I like this pub! The beer (as expected) is great, and it’s not just BrewDog beers on offer – the fridges were stacked with craft beer from other breweries from all over the globe. In fact there was such a variety on offer it’s a bit too much choice, but that’s a good thing! The atmosphere was great too, even when it got quite busy later on in the evening it still felt like a good place to be in and it didn’t take more than a few minutes to get served at the bar. The only possible negative I could think of is that if this place gets more popular (it’s going to), it could be a little too busy and crowed for a civilised and deep conversation, but you could say that of any busy pub in London of an evening.
On to the beers! For this visit I decided to stick with the BrewDog beers and sample a few (small measures of each of course!):
- Punk IPA – tastes exactly the same from the pump as it does from the bottle (aka good!).
- 77 Lager – nice clean, crisp lager, and very refreshing.
- IPA is Dead Moteuka – great aroma and flavour, real fruity notes.
- IPA is Dead Galaxy – similar to the Moteuka, great aroma and fruity flavour, but had a slightly more harsh bitter edge to it that I quite liked, this one was my favourite of the IPA is Dead family.
- IPA is Dead Challenger – nice, but way too bitter.
- IPA is Dead HBC – ok, but bland in comparison to the other three in the range.
- Hardcore NZ (Hardcore IPA variant using New Zealand hops) – hoppy, sweet tropical fruit, malty and caramel flavours abound.
All in all the beer experience was as expected (great). What I didn’t expect though was the food to be equally great! They only serve a limited selection: three types of pizzas or burgers, and a cheese board. All of the food coming by looked great, so I opted for the “Meaty One” pizza – I was not disappointed! Some of the others had the burgers and the cheese board and they were equally happy with the food.
So BrewDog Camden lived up to the expectations, if you can get there I would most definitely recommend it.