Here’s the results of my first attempt at an IPA. The brew day (and the bottling session) was a bit of a cock-up but thankfully the beer has turned out really well!
Aroma – A slight yeasty aroma (most likely due to the crud in the bottom of each bottle), but this is masked mostly by a really powerful tropical fruit and citrus aroma.
Appearance – If you pour it right and avoid getting any of the crap out of the bottles it’s a clear light orange/brown colour, with a creamy white head.
Flavour – Matching the aroma for big big fruit flavours – citrus, kiwi, banana and a sweet maltiness too.
Mouthfeel – Light to medium body, good carbonation.
Overall – This has to be the best beer I’ve brewed yet, and it’s a bloody nice IPA to boot – once you manage to separate the beer from the crud that is!
Would I brew it again? – Oh yes, I’ve already ordered another bag of galaxy hops! This turned out way better than I expected, the next time i’ll make sure I have a better brew day and manage to bottle more…
Let me get this out there, I love IPA’s; English, American, Imperial, it doesn’t matter, it’s rare that i’ll find an IPA that I don’t like (Greene King – i’m looking at you >:-/ ). So it’s quite odd that I haven’t got around to brewing an IPA yet…
This changed a couple of weekends ago with my first batch – I thought i’d try a single hop American style IPA with one of my current favourite hops – galaxy. Thank BrewDog and their recent IPA is Dead series for the inspiration on this one.
Recipe: Single Hop IPA - Galaxy
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Boil Size: 20.59 l
Post Boil Volume: 18.55 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 15.00 l
Bottling Volume: 15.49 l
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 16.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 75.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 89.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.89 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 47.5 %
1.88 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 47.4 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 3 5.0 %
22.07 g Galaxy [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 41.3 IBUs
29.81 g Galaxy [15.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 33.7 IBUs
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.0 pkg British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) [124. Yeast 7 -
46.00 g Galaxy [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.97 kg
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 11.50 l of water at 71.4 C 64.4 C 75 min
Mash Out Add 6.72 l of water at 98.0 C 75.6 C 10 min
Sparge: Fly sparge with 7.36 l water at 75.6 C
Notes / Measurements:
Brewed on 7th April 2012
Before we move on, here’s a PSA – always check your equipment!!! Somehow I managed to forget this golden rule resulting in me (a) putting 4 kg of grain in the mashtun when the false bottom was not properly attached to the drainage pipe, and (b) proceeding to put in the first batch of mash liquor with the drainage tap open on the mashtun…
So, one slightly moist carpet later I went on ok with the mash, but when it came time to run off the wort and sparge nothing was coming out!!! Not such a good start to the brew day. So, I had to scoop out the water and grain into another container to realise my error (the false bottom wasn’t attached) – once fixed I got all the grain and the mash liquor back into the mashtun and got to sparging. I managed to retain 24 litres of wort, with a pre-boil OG of 1.050 (target was 1.054 so we’ll call this close enough – I was just glad to be this far)!
Thankfully the boil was pretty much uneventful and all went to plan, ending up with 16.5 litres going into the fermenter with a post-boil OG of 1.057, again this was slightly below target (1.062), but I wasn’t too unhappy with that.
After pitching the yeast there was good fermentation going after 12 hours. I transferred the wort into the secondary fermenter (a pressure barrel) after 4 days.
After 10 days in the barrel it was time to bottle, the FG came in at 1.018, which is quite a bit higher than expected, so we’re looking at about 5.1% ABV, maybe the yeast will still get a little bit of work done in the bottles. In preparation for bottling, I added 180g of light dry malt extract to the barrel for priming, and then after a short while got down to filling my first few bottles, now here’s where it all went wrong again…
After the fourth bottle nothing else was coming out of the barrel – the taps and pipes were blocked with all the hops used for dry hopping! I ended up having to siphon all of the beer out and only managed to fill about 20 bottles (10 litres). 🙁
The bottles have been sitting for nearly a week now and they’re starting to clear a bit, but there’s some nasty looking crud at the bottom of a few of them – fingers crossed it’ll all taste ok! Next time i’ll work on putting a filter over the tap in the barrel. 🙂
As usual, tasting notes etc to come once the beer is ready to drink…
I’m pretty sure i’ll be heading over to Brewdog Camden for this one!
IPA is Dead Launch Event – Wednesday 21st March in All BrewDog Bars! From 7pm
IPA is dead showcases 4 killer hops varieties from 4 corners of the planet. The result is 4 radically different single hop IPAs. Each IPA contains the same malt backbone and is brewed to be 75 IBU and is enthusiastically kettle hopped and massively dry hopped.
We will be launching them all on draft in a Hop Slam Wednesday in all BrewDog Bars from 7pm on Wednesday the 21st March.